Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Vacation: Hire a Pet Sitter or Kennel Your Pet

This time of year the majority of us are planning our family vacations. For those of us with pets, there is one more aspect of our vacation to plan -- the care of our pet. The question that looms in our minds: Should I hire a professional pet sitter or should I kennel my pet?

This is more of a concern for those of us who are owned by dogs. If your dog is like mine, you can be away for 5 minutes, 1 hour, 6 hours, and you will always be greeted the same way when you return -- exuberance will reign the moment. I have always been told that dogs really have no sense of time and that when you leave them they do not understand that you will return. Now...I don't know if this is true, but I do know that my dog (and yours when I arrive at your home) always greets me like she hasn't seen me in years.

Think about this perhaps from your dog's point of view. They are probably wondering why you left and will you return. If they are in their own home while you are vacationing, they have an element of security. They are in familiar surroundings where they have their possessions (toys, blankets, bed) and your scent. These things make your pet feel a little less anxious about your absence.

Now...consider this. You leave and decide to leave them in a kennel. Where is the security of their familiar surroundings? For all they understand, you have left and you took them from their home to this place that is loud and they remain crated during the day. They may have a blanket from their bed with them, but where are their toys and your scent?

When trying to decide the care for your pet while you are away, consider these two points. By deciding to hire a professional pet sitter that is licensed, bonded, and insured, you are helping your pet deal with you being out of their lives for a short time.

No comments: