She's a big girl. She's a sweetheart.
She can look menacing. She's a sweetheart.
She's spoiled rotten. She's a sweetheart.
Until I met Samantha I thought my dogs were spoiled beyond belief.
Until I met Samantha I thought my dogs were rulers of the household.
Until I met Samantha I thought my dogs were pampered beyond belief.
Samantha is a Bullmastiff and is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She has everyone trained, including her pet sitter! She doesn't like to rise daily before 8:30am; she likes to spend 30 minutes to an hour each night outside with her Daddy - she surveys the property while he enjoys his wine. When the weather is nice, she loves to sit on the deck and watch the world go by - she even likes to dine alfresco out there occasionally. She doesn't like the extreme heat; she doesn't like the wind; she likes the huge umbrella held over her when it's raining. She enjoys her 2 big comfy beds and likes to have them straightened throughout the day. She likes to allow you to scratch her entire body until your arms ache. Her favorite past time is to roll and roll and roll in the grass. AND .... she enjoys her nightly cigar - the cigar is a rawhide twist. If you want to see a big dog suddenly become animated, ask her if she's ready for her cigar.
Samantha, by nature, is an alert and good natured guard dog. She is docile, fearless, protective, and affectionate. She can appear aggressive toward others. When people or other animals walk past, she wants them to know she's on duty and is watching their every move. That's why it's so surprising she's so welcoming of Pepper - my miniature Dachshund. When you see them together, it's like Mutt and Jeff - afterall, Samantha's head is as big as my dog's entire body! It's surprising to see her rise to greet Pepper and allow Pepper to walk all around her and through her legs. When they're waiting for me to unlock the door so we can stroll, it's a comical sight to see Pepper standing under Samantha between her legs. Samantha will go directly to my car searching for Pepper to stroll if she's not with me when I visit. She's not content until I open the door and allow her to search the car thoroughly for Pepper.
People have asked me if I'm afraid Samantha will hurt Pepper. No.
People have asked me if I'm afraid Samantha will make Pepper into her snack. No.
People have asked me if I'm afraid Samantha will become aggressive toward Pepper. No.
Why aren't I worried about these things?
Because Samantha is my "gentle giant."
But make no mistake, I have no doubt that if provoked or she feels her family is threatened, I would suddenly see a side of Samantha that I've only read about in books. Until then, though, she will remain my "gentle giant," and Pepper's close friend.




No comments:
Post a Comment