Friday, June 5, 2009

Good-Bye


As a pet sitter, saying good-bye to a pet and their family is always hard.  Many clients become "family," and you get almost as attached to their pets as you do your own.  When I first met Hector, I thought he was beautiful and quickly discovered he's a nuzzler.  His markings are so unusual.  

Hector loves to go for walks, and prances down the street, from side to side, head held high as if he's king of the world.  When we walk around the neighborhood, I get so tickled at the reaction of others.  You see, Hector is an American Bulldog, and at first glance he resembles a Pit Bull. However, the American Bulldog is taller and not as stocky as a Pit Bull.  People just stare and are somewhat uncertain if they want to pass us on the street or even speak.  Usually their second look helps them see Hector is just a sweetheart. 

His other favorite thing is to play with the little red light you can shine all over the floor, furniture, and walls from the laser pen.  He will chase and pounce on the light all day long I believe.  I get so tickled watching him.

Hector has a buddy, Tsavo.  Tsavo is one of the most animated kitties I have ever known.  He "talks" to me when I'm there - following me from one room to the other.  I ask him if I'm doing things correctly - he's taking in everything I do while there.  He loves for me to allow a small drip from the kitchen faucet - he will stand in the sink drinking from the drip - he will swat at the drip with his paws.  He'll stretch as far as he can possibly stretch and place his front paws on my shoulders - then he takes his head and rubs both sides of my face and just purrs with such contentment.  

Hector and Tsavo moved from the area today.  Their Mom and Dad are in the Coast Guard and have been stationed in Key West for the next 4 years.  I stopped in to visit briefly with both of them this afternoon and say good-bye.  It's a hard thing to do - I've become attached, and I know I'm going to miss Hector's laser light antics and Tsavo's rubs and purrs.

I wish them well - send them off with my love - hold them in a special area of my heart - and look forward to possibly seeing them again one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that they are going to miss you too! I hope the two of them find someone to watch them as caring as you at their next duty station.

Jenn
Chase and Zahra's mom